EXCEL BEYOND BARRIERS
MISSION & VISION.
‘Excel Beyond Barrier’ is a youth first organisation that provides young people with the tools they need to get ahead and grow in life. On the flip side, we also help enterprise, government and education to engage, recruit and support youths in our community.
- We wholeheartedly believe in the potential of all young people and care deeply about young people and their futures, especially those from deprived areas of our inner city of London and nationwide.
- We are a multicultural-led organisation predominantly from the BAME community. So,our work is directed at creating opportunities for young people to tackle inequality, achieve their personal potential and drive social change.
- We provide support under four strategic themes
(1) Safe spaces;
(2) Health and Well-being;
(3) Strong, Safe, and Inclusive Communities
(4) Progression, Skills, Mentoring, Career advice and Employability.
- We believe it is essential that young people are encouraged and supported into roles that they are passionate about and with help from enterprise, education, and government, we can up-skill and create a positive future for young people across our community.
Also, family is at the heart of all that we do. Therefore, we provide a wraparound family support initiative. We are a value-driven organisation and we pride ourselves on using these values as the drivers of our work.
- We focus primarily on how increased participation in sport, physical activity, training, mentoring, internship, career/employment can enhance the lives of young people in Southwark Borough and nationwide.
Therefore, as a priority we focus on four key groups:
1. Young people aged 11-30 years
2. Older adults
3. People with a long-term condition or disability
4. People living in the surrounding deprived areas with high rates of inactivity
Although, our work is not restricted to these four groups and understanding intersectionality is essential to combatting the interwoven inequalities seen within communities with regards to inactivity levels. As such, at EBB, we work to support other relevant networks to improve opportunities, to attract funding/investment for Sport,facilities, improve coordination, networking and partnership working across the sector in the Southwark area, nationwide and internationally.
Through working with young people and partners from projects across the UK, we have developed the following core values which underpin everything we do:
YOUTH-LED: Young people are the heart of everything we do, inspiring us to evolve and adapt, so we can support them to realise their full potential through mentoring, career path advice, internship, training opportunity and employment,offering entrepreneurship skills, creating a safe space for social and sports activities, etc.
EMPOWERING: Enabling young people to recognise their skills and giving them ownership to achieve their individual goals.
FAMILY ORIENTED: At EBB, family network is an important aspect of our work. We provide wraparound support initiatives to ensure young people have the necessarysupport at home in the pursuit of their chosen career, physical and mental wellbeing. We believe, empowering the parents with skills and knowledge needed, they would be in the best position to support their child(ren) at home, school and in the community to be the pride of their family and community.
A CONNECTOR: Bringing young people, the communities and our partnership network together; valuing diversity and creating a shared sense of belonging. Also, using our community magazine to showcase our incredible work in all areas.
RESILIENT: Bouncing back with enthusiasm and fresh solutions, continually learning, and taking the time to actively ‘listen’ and respond to the world in which we work. We will not shy away from any projects that support and bring values to our young people,
and the community as a whole.
COURAGEOUS: With a ‘can-do’, open, supportive, and honest approach - we are not afraid to do things differently.
GENDER EQUALITY: We work to break the prevalent gender inequality affecting every female. We provide empowerment and enrichment programmes through community. engagement initiatives. We research and campaign against Child abuse and
molestation, FGM, Domestic violence, Inequality in employment and career development for girls/women, participate in and celebrate international women’s day, Period Pad Day, and initiatives that echo women/girls’ values.
COMMUNITY: We are community oriented. Hence, we do everything within our remit and partnership with other organisations in our community to ensure never again should our community be in deprivation. Therefore, we work to attract investments, innovation and development to every disadvantaged Black led community.